Thursday 22 October 2015

I Survived

The other night I was watching tv and suddenly had the urge to write something down. I've not written a poem for a couple of years and haven't felt the need to blog since last year.  I think I was flipping through the tv guide on the screen when I saw a show listed called 'I survived'. Well that just opened a floodgate and my pen spewed this lot out.  Yes it rhythms but meh...


She survived far too much to remember
she got over your words so cruel
she toughened her heart not to cry
she became hard outside

Broken deep within
the abuse took seed
and twisted her guts
til it grew a mighty tree

She felt ugly and unwanted, 
rejection was rife
the shit just kept hitting the fan
she tried to take her life

The pain and guilt surrounded
her very soul inside
eating her up completely
hard to recognise

She starred at the abyss
and yearned to fall in
to suffer no more but
she didn't know how to give in

She survived her soul being crushed
she looks back now confused
she doesn't recognise that woman
she is me, is you too

I survived, although I don't know how
I survived, we have that power
I survived, over and over again
She doesn't exist because I survived.


I really do not recognise the person who went through all that.  I know I did but it's like it happened to someone else.  Ce la vie...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.